Are you experiencing chimney water leaks in your Chicago home? Several factors can cause water leaks in your chimney and can lead to significant damage if not addressed immediately. At Windy Chimney Services, we can quickly diagnose, repair and provide preventative measures to ensure your chimney is water free.
How Water Enters Your Chimney
Water can enter through various ways, and when any of these components are damaged or missing, will cause significant damage.
- Chimney cap
- Chimney crown
- Chimney liner
Identifying Signs Of A Water Leak
Some signs of water leaks in your chimney can be simple to spot when looking for them. If you notice any of the following signs of damage, it is essential to have your chimney inspected and repaired by a professional.
- Water stains on the ceiling or walls near the fireplace
- Crumbling or flaking bricks or mortar
- Musty smell or mold growth
- Rusty damper, caps, chase pans, or firebox
- Dampness in the firewood
- Stained or damaged chimney liner
Most Common Cause Of Water Leaks
The most common causes of chimney leaks are minor issues that are easy to identify and fix. Although there are many possible causes, a thorough inspection can help identify any cause that can’t be seen visually.
Damaged Chimney Cap
A chimney cap is a cover that sits on top of the chimney, preventing water, debris, and animals from entering your chimney. Water can enter your chimney if the cap is damaged, missing, or improperly installed.
Damaged Chimney Crown
The chimney crown is a cement cover that seals the top of the chimney, preventing water from entering it, and if it’s damaged, water can enter.
Flashing is a thin metal strip that seals the connection between the chimney and the roof. If it’s damaged or missing, water can enter. It is also essential to make sure your flashing is maintained to ensure water doesn’t seep in through any cracks.
Cracked Chimney Masonry
The chimney masonry can crack due to age, weathering, or other factors. When it cracks, it gives easy access for water to enter your chimney and cause damage.
Improperly Installed Chimney Liner
The chimney liner is a crucial component that protects the masonry from the acidic byproducts of combustion. If it’s improperly installed or damaged, water can seep into the masonry to cause even more damage.
Oversized Chimney Liners
An oversized chimney liner can cause condensation inside your chimney, leading to damage over time. It is essential to have your chimney liner installed to the proper dimension to prevent this issue.
How To Prevent Leaks
Preventing leaks requires regular maintenance and inspection. Here are some preventive measures you should take.
- Regular Chimney Inspections – Having it inspected during chimney sweeps can help identify fixable problems before they get worse.
- Chimney Cap Installation – Make sure your chimney has a properly installed cap to prevent water, debris, and animals from entering your chimney.
- Chimney Crown Repair or Replacement – If the crown is damaged, have it repaired or replaced by a professional so it can prevent water from entering your chimney.
- Flashing Repair or Replacement – If damaged or missing, repair or replace it as soon as possible.
- Masonry Waterproofing – A waterproofing agent can be applied to prevent water from entering.
- Preventative Maintenance – This is the best way to avoid leaks and keep your chimney in good condition.
Diagnosing Your Leak
Our technicians are trained to identify the cause of your chimney leak and recommend the best course of action. We use state-of-the-art equipment and techniques to repair your chimney quickly and effectively.
Commonly Asked Chimney Leak Questions
If your chimney crown is cracked or damaged, you may notice water stains on the ceiling or walls near the fireplace, or you may see pieces of the crown missing.
It’s not recommended to repair your chimney yourself, as it can be dangerous and cause further damage. You should contact a professional chimney repair company to handle any repairs.
Repair Chimney Leaks In Chicago
Water leaks in your chimney can cause significant damage to your Chicago home and should not be taken lightly. Regular maintenance and inspections can prevent water leaks, but if you notice any signs of water leaks in your chimney, we at Windy Chimney Services can diagnose and repair your issue.