Chimney Tuck Pointing, Repointing, or Chimney Pointing
Tuck-pointing is basically needed when your mortar joints (or mortar bonds) begin: falling, splitting, cracking, or deteriorating to any extent. If you notice this, it is imperative to have it corrected immediately, because if you put it off – it will cost much more down the line because you will need a chimney rebuild.
When tuck-pointing is needed, there are a few crucial steps to insure it’s longevity:
- Grind out all spots in need of tuck-pointing with a high powered grinder, to no less than 3/4’s of an inch.
- Brush and/or wash area of all excess mortar, sand and dust; completely cleaning off joints to be tuck-pointed.
- Use proper mortar mix and water combination.
- Fill joints with new mortar using proper tools.
- Wait for the appropriate time and then strike the joints.
- Brush off any loose mortar from bricks and/or mortar joints.
After your tuck-pointing is successfully completed, we always advise to waterproof it with our special repellent. More information on this can be found in the products/chimney saver section.
We can take care of your chimney tuck-pointing needs!
Call Toll Free… 224-999-4639